I am going to a networking event this evening and I’m nervous.
Starting a conversation is difficult for me. I feel self-conscious and it’s so much easier to just find a seat and hope someone seeks me out.
Knowing this is something I need to overcome if I want my business to move forward, I wanted to be prepared. I hopped on the internet and found a great article that addresses this issue: 5 Ways to Start a Conversation at a Networking Event.
Networking events are fantastic ways to market yourself and your business. Learn to ask questions and to talk about your goals. Offer resources when you can. Just don’t forget to develop new relationships. When you’re sincere, you will find networking to be full of potential!
Rhett Power shares some tips that will be critical this evening.
- Stand where people can see you. (Not in the corner?)
- Put a pleasant expression on your face. (I can do that)
- Ask open ended questions that encourage others to talk.
- Show interest in others.
- Use humor
- People won’t remember you unless you take the time to begin a relationship.
- Have your elevator speech ready.
- I will add, get your eyes off yourself and onto others. Your nervousness will disappear.
I can’t wait to try these suggestions out!