The first thing your readers see when they visit your site needs to be eye-catching and engaging. It needs to be attractive, creative, and clever. But more than that, your blog design needs to speak to your readers. It needs to tell them why you’re different, what you’re offering, and why they should take the time to read on.
Craig Stewart’s post, How to Start a Blog: 10 pro tips, gives ten tips for starting a blog that will attract and enthrall readers. Take a look and see what resonates with you.
- Choose a blogging platform – Blogger, WordPress, etc.
- Decide upon content – do you know what you want a blog for in the first place?
- Keep things simple – Stick to no more than three colors, and three fonts.
- Use contrasting colors – It’s a good rule of thumb that your blog features a main primary color, a shade of grey, and a color for your call-to-action.
- Embrace white space – white space can really enhance your design and keep it looking professional.
- Keep your design goal-driven – create a blog with three things in mind: topic, value proposition, and audience.
- Follow conventions – sidebars, headers, subscription options, author attribution, and search bars make your content easy to find and keep your visitors on the blog for longer.
- Experiment – by mixing things up, you create a visually exciting experience for your audience.
- Make it responsive – don’t miss out on vital traffic by not utilizing a responsive theme.
- Promote it! – this is where social media comes into its own.